Saturday, April 6, 2013

Boomers Reflect on Icon

Baby boomers contemplate meaning of a rock icon's milestone
Date June 27, 2012
Section(s) Generations
Byline By LINDSEY ADKISON The Brunswick News
Marcia Marinello was a teenager when she first laid eyes on a baby-faced Paul McCartney and the rest of the Fab Four. The year was 1964. Marinello, then growing up in Illinois, went to one of the Beatles' first American concerts, at the Arie Crown Theater in Chicago. It is still a vivid memory for the Darien resident. "There were about 13,000 screaming kids. We were all pretty close to the stage. That time was fairly early in their career, and it was their first U.S. tour. Everyone sang the songs with them," she said. But Marinello had the rare opportunity to see the greatest rock band in history perform live not just once, but twice. She also took in their show in 1965 at Comiskey Park, then the home of the Chicago White Sox. It was a lucky thing, as the road-weary group put an end to touring in 1966. Marinello remembers the show being considerably larger than the first. "There were probably 50,000 kids or more at that concert. They did have big screens up, but the screams were so loud, nobody really heard anything. The atmosphere was so electric, you didn't need to hear very well. We were all so caught up in the moment," she said. "I went with a group of girls, and we all baked cakes and brought them to the concert for the Beatles to eat. We were so naive. I had binoculars with me to see the stage better, and I remember almost being strangled by my younger cousin who just had to see Ringo close up." At the time Marinello and her pals took in the show, all of the Beatles were in their early 20s. John Lennon and Ringo Starr - the elder members - were both 24 in 1964. McCartney was 22, and George Harrison was 21. Fast forward 48 years, and two of the Beatles have died. Lennon was murdered in 1980 and Harrison died of cancer in 2001. The other two Beatles are now in their 70s. In fact, McCartney just marked his 70th birthday June 18. Ringo Starr will ring in his 72nd on July 7. For many baby boomers like Marinello, the fact the Beatles are officially senior citizens is still a bit surreal. It seems especially hard to accept that McCartney, who was branded the "cute Beatle," is now an "old man." "It's hard to believe he is 70, since he looks so good and certainly acts like a younger person," she said. It is true McCartney, and Starr, for that matter, have continued to rock well into what could have been their retirement years. But Marinello feels they are just shining examples of a generation that refuses to be defined by conventional stereotypes. "Growing up in the '60s was such a different experience from what our parents and grandparents went through. I remember participating in the protests, whether it was for civil rights, saving the whales, ending the war or equality for women," she said. "What sobers me up is when I look back and start counting how many years ago all that took place. I think most boomers are young at heart. If I don't look in the mirror, I don't really think about my age. I still have a lot of living to do." That is a view shared by many boomers, a demographic of the post-World War II baby boom between the years 1946 and 1964. Many don't feel or even look their ages. Local musician Eddie Pickett is one boomer who thinks staying active is the best way to outsmart Father Time. In his case, Pickett says music has kept him young. "When I actually stop and take time to reflect on my life and actual age in years, it can be sobering. But in my mind, and especially in terms of my musical journey, I don't feel like I am really getting older. Â In fact, I actually become more excited to think of what my next musical experience will entail. That makes me feel young," he said. Â He feels the same is likely true for McCartney. "When I think of his age, in terms of actual years, it is hard to believe. Where did time go? However, when I listen to his musical talent and his timeless tunes, I lose sense of time. The music never stops. It continues on and still keeps growing," Pickett said. It can be argued the power of musical creativity can stave off the aging process. Many musicians, even very wealthy rockers like members of the Rolling Stones, the Who and Aerosmith, have chosen to continue to live in the spotlight rather than fade into obscurity. Pickett can understand that. He feels music helps to reinvigorate both performers and fans. "The whole lifestyle of creating, performing, self expression, must have a positive impact on your life and spirituality. Audiences are typically younger at larger venues and the exuberance of the crowd has to have an impact on the performer," he said. "The crowds are also dotted with baby boomers - who have quite possibly never grown up. Â The atmosphere relating to music is refreshing and rejuvenating - downright rejoicing. How could it not make one feel young at heart?" Sharon Proudfoot, a younger boomer, is another who rarely dwells on her numerical age. But McCartney's recent birthday did force her to remember it. "It's hard for me to think of him as 70 because my parents are in their 70s. I listen to Beatles' and Paul McCartney & Wings' music all of the time. I guess, unless I am playing it myself, I am finding it on an oldies station. That should give me a clue," she said. Staying engaged and active, like McCartney, has helped many of the baby boomer generation stay fit - both physically and mentally. It's something Proudfoot says she sees a lot in the Golden Isles. "We have so many retirees or people who have left big-city life for resort-community life. They're active and involved. Our community is fortunate to have these folks," she said. And it's something she tries to do herself by connecting with youngsters. "I teach preschool Sunday School and work with children and youth at my church, First Baptist Church St. Simons Island, and they definitely keep me young - forcing me to keep up with their interests and language," she said. Staying busy and active could be the trick that's keeping the children of the '60s so hip. And it's something Sir Paul McCartney has done with his trademark style and grace. "His music is timeless and I think it's helping him stay that way, too," Proudfoot said.


No comments:

Post a Comment